Friday, January 29, 2010

Lose It

The first week of school has gone swimmingly! As I may (or may not) have posted, I started off the school year with a 100 degree fever and vomiting (natural temp around 97). I had originally taken this as a bad omen for the year, but I walked through it and went to classes. The only thing that I had skipped out on is the gym, for fear that I would only worsen my condition. This, of course, had made me feel horrible about my goal of losing weight and running. I had been sick and tired...just not wanting to move. When I did regain most of my energy it was Wednesday and the gym was full by the time I got there. Luckily, I went with Sam and I ended up taking a small walk with her. So I did do something.

I don't think I would have been going to the gym again if it wasn't for Sam. When we went again yesterday the gym was full, but Sam wanted to wait an hour and go again. This time we made a better plan of attack, no more going at 6...my old beloved time! The only problem was today, when we went at four the gym was almost full, but the lack of elliptical forced me to start running the first part of couch to 5k. I am not starting the first week though, I just did it before Monday/Tuesday because I had no better option. Needless to say, I did better than I had expected. I had finished the one mile mark a little over 16 minutes in, which was a step from the last time I ran (last semester) and clocked in at 18 min. Though I was excited because I had added another 150 calories to my daily budget.

I am not on a "diet" exactly, but I am trying out this iphone/pod app, called Lose It!, that gives me a custom budget of calories based on how many pounds I want to lose per week. What I liked about it was that it had a lot of name brand foods already plugged in and you can put in new foods that you eat. There are also options by how much you should eat to maintain the same weight and so on... My favorite was that I don't really need to exercise all the time doing this and I could need a different amount of calories each day. Most importantly, this app was free!

I will admit, I am not being anal about this. I haven't plugged in any of my drinks, including the juices I have been drinking all week, and I am not worrying about it. I am still trying to remain low stress, but I am also glad I had taken the extra step and started watching my calories... Though, it feels weird saying that because I really am not doing much different, just being aware. My official start date is Monday, but as you can tell I have done a bit of early testing. I am really trying to just stay focused on the outcome and hoping that the goal dates will follow through.

No comments: