I guess I will start by talking a bit about myself. I am an 18 year old college student studying Graphic Design and Digital Media. I am not sure if I am keeping my double major status but I really feel as though it will get me farther in life.
I currently have no "real" job, but I am still searching. Today I applied for a temp Graphic Design job that I really want, but based on the past job applications from the past weeks, I am most likely not going to get. I am really frustrated in terms of this whole job market thing and I would really like to have one of my opportunities work out. The problem is I screwed myself over by not getting a job while I was in high school. I really have to wonder; is it too late?
On a brighter note I am also trying to start my own mini business by doing portraits for people, but so far I have not made anything from this. I am still waiting on customers, and my first customer from craigslist, which is an awesome job site, but from what I am hearing there are people who don't understand or manipulate the free market system. Any way this girl, I didn't know this till later, had been the same person I had talked to before I decided to officialize my business. Long story short she had been trying to get a portrait for free (or cheep) but then needed it now so she took my price of $50 for an 8x10 and had me send her a photo copy and I never heard from her again....
Things I learned from this experience:
- Take a down payment of 25%, even though I wanted (at the least) 50% when I handed her the original for her down payment (she was a payment plan customer) I still might end up with nothing.
- WATER MARKS!!!- I always knew they were important but I really understand I need to use them when I send copies
- Always expect the unexpected. I might hear from her but I am not counting on it.

No comments:
Post a Comment