I hold no formal recognition with the powers that be
I am at the bottom of the chain, I hold no military ID card
I am not a “dependent” or a parent
The man I love may face unspeakable dangers
And I am at the mercy of those who possess
This recognition for news, I understand and accept this
I am a military girlfriend, I have promised to be here
For him upon his return, no matter how long he is away
People may say that im insane for making such a commitment
With no guarantees, but I hold onto our promises
And have faith that he will come home safe to me
I know full well that my love for him fuels him in the worst of times
I am a military girlfriend
There is no ring on my finger to symbolize our commitment
Though I love him no less for it
I hope everyday that he will be able to call
Because a simple 30-second phone call
Can bring the greatest spectrum of emotions
Smiling with tears in my eyes from so much joy and pain
My relationship is based on a brief communication where
“I love you and I’m ok” speaks more than volumes
And gives me strength to keep going
I am a military girlfriend
I take no moment spent together for granted
I hold on to every touch
Caress, kiss, every word I have memorized
The feel of his skin, his smell, the sound of his voice
And I play it over and over again in my head so I will not forget
I cry myself to sleep some nights
Because missing him hurts so badly
But I wake up the next morning
Brush myself off and start a new day
I am a military girlfriend. The events of the next several months/
years hold my life, my love, and my future in the balance
When you watch the news reports, you may walk away
And go about your business relatively unaffected
When I watch the news stories of the war
I do not see nameless soldiers a half a world away
I see individuals who will forever be changed by war
News of every casualty causes me physical pain and deep sadness
I am a military girlfriend. Not a spouse or a family member
When you say you prayers for the husbands and wives,
Mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, Sons and daughters,
please don’t forget me.

No comments:
Post a Comment