Looking now, all of us going through our "MySpace generation" are now in our "Facebook generation." You have to wonder, did we all just join, or did we all just switch over? Because of this I have found two good reasons why it is okay for parents to be on Facebook now:
- We are all older.-lets be honest most members of the Facebook society are the former 16 year olds (or younger) that were on MySpace. Because of our new "matureity" we pretty much inform our parents of just about everything anyway, and we are shutting them out less.
- It is seen as more of a "social site"- Now this one is mostly opinion, well more than the last, when you think about it, MySpace was not really used to reconnect with people. After the "tini-boppers" came in (To be honest this was people a year or so under me, technically my age group at the time). They do what they always do, turning the site into a QQ popularity contest. Even at that age I have felt the rage of the "tini-boppers" runing every site I hold dear...
Most importantly, going to my "tini-bopper theory" we used this for more personal reasons. When parents started showing up I was slightly curious, but it became something widly accepted and I know people that use the site to talk to their parents while they are at school. I am still very surprised that even though Facebook has the same amount of "tini" action I really don't need to deal with it.
I also believe there are benifits to the parents being on this site. It kind of moderates itself. On more than a couple ocassions I have refrained from posting obnoxious (but still funny) posts. Nothing really bad enough to care about, but it got me thinking about how it helps us double think what we write. I know that not only will my friends be seeing what I write, but so will people like my mom's cousins. As much as my friends wont really judge me, it helps with my online self respect.
In conclusion, I don't really mind parents on facebook so much. Though if my mom joined I would consider rejecting her....though it would probibally end in a limited profile on her end. It isn't not wanting to get in trouble, but more of my mom is my stalker and likes to make obnoxious comments that causes me to have a slight social phobia. Mainly the uncomfortable teasing...we don't talk about that...
*A/N 100th Post!!!*

No comments:
Post a Comment