The reason why this post, or rant, is being written is because of the aggravation that I had to suffer through in my English classroom. I did not notice how bad my proffessor was until recently. The "PC" is getting so out of hand it is making them see problems in illistrations that are artistically correct. They are over examining things until I finally chime in and they all end up being speechless.
I am going to start this story off by saying that I have no problem with ANY one's race, color, or belief. To be honest we are all different hues of the same color and people really need to get over this.
Any way, my class was reading a book about "the great migration" and we were speaking about how the illustrations were made. My professor was saying that the black people were being shown as oppressed because of the time period and she found that strange because the illustrator was a black man. She also went on talking about how they really don't make sense and how the man only put the details in the white man's face. ...
First of all, artistically she is very wrong. I don't know if I am "qualified" to say this but there are three things that happened in that artist's mind.
- This is my primary statement...the one I gave to my professor...by having the black people in the groups with out faces they were turned in to a group as a whole. Being a mass movement these things were happening to all of the people and the book never talks about an individual...when the white men are in the scenes they need their expressions to give a highlight to how they are feeling and they were the main focus of the statement......
- The artist was not an anal retentive person who wanted to draw ALL of the faces
- The illustrations would look HORRIBLE if all the faces were in focus
- girlie girls
- manly or bratty boys
- white middle class stories
- anything that has "stario types"
Last class she was telling us to filter out books because of what the "underlying message" is and this class she was talking about how bad Hannah Montana (given she is partially right with the new episodes) and cheetah girls didn't dress their age or worry about school it is all singing and glam. In the Hannah Montana episodes from last year (I liked it better when it wasn't cool) she HAD to do her home work and keep up grades and HAD to stay in school and obey her dad. ..all of her statements didn't actually have research to them so I am deducting....based on observation...that she is bitter. I am not sure why yet, but she is bitter about something.
(more ranting that takes away from the strength of this blog but has to be said)
Maybe she wasn't popular in school? I don't know, but she needs to stop looking for things wrong with stories, girls don't have to read "girl books" if they don't want and boys don't have to read "boy books." She was saying how the boys in some URI program would some times come in with faerie outfits and no one said anything because it wasn't allowed. Alone this sentence is fine but when you are talking about a book that is sent to girls making the boys feel left out....wtf....any way things we get out of today
- Do what you want and mind your own business.
- Leave artists and writers alone and stop looking for problems with how they are oppressing someone.
- Everyone may be equal but we are all DIFFERENT and people are going to be offended. Learn to let the little things go and worry about, I don't know, the consideration of others!

No comments:
Post a Comment