Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Boys and Girls

LinkI really wonder if there is still a difference between the way boys and girls are brought up.
Today I went out with my friend Ashly, who is moving to Arizona in a little over a day, and her friends to see the movie The Dark Knight. At the show we had a good time. We meant to go to the 715 showing but everyone was running late so it was decided that we would go to the 10 oclock show. The only problem was that we had to wait an extra 3 hours before the movie would start but that wasn't much of a problem.
Jessica, Ashly's friend, had brought coupons for EVERYONE and we were all able to see the movie for 7 dollars in stead of 10 so I was able to take part in some of the activities. First we all tried to get a Hulk toy with one of those claw machines and then we decided to take a trip to McDonalds (where I had also applied!).
Wile we were there Jessica pulls out an Entertainment book where we all have many options for coupons. There was one for a McFlurry so I asked anyone if they would split the buy one get one free with me and we would both get it half off. Ashly agreed and I had thought, when speaking to her about it, I had made clear that we were splitting it and this included the price. I found out my assumption was wrong when I was paying and asked her for the last dollar I needed (really 80cents) and she told me she only had fives....and Jessica was nice and pulled out her large change purse and gave the cashier the money (this girl is THRIFTY!!!) Any way, this annoyed me but was not the highlight of the evening that brings the boy, girl topic up...
We watched the movie and I called my mom the second we were leaving my seats so, assuming everyone waited with me, it would not be too long, and we all went outside. There everyone talked for a minute and then, after saying goodbye to Ashly, went their separate ways.
This is where I got annoyed, but I wasn't going to say anything. The girls up and LEFT. I mean, is it wrong that I assume they wait with me instead of leaving me ALONE in an empty parking lot at 1230 in the MORNING? I know it isn't my place to say what they should do but....really....it is dangerous for girls to be out alone....
What I did notice though is the boys stuck around in the parking lot for a very long time. Even though they had a reason that they gave me (will be told in a few seconds) they were there an awful long time, and that made me think that they were waiting to make sure I was getting home.
Another thing that almost confirmed this is, after about 10-15 minutes, the boys had driven up in their car and asked me if I had a ride. After I said my mom was coming they paused and after an awkward silence told me a story of how they walked up to the car and wondered what was on their windshield to find a magazine....later finding out it was porn! Even after that we stared awkwardly until they decided to leave.
This is the difference that I have noticed. Boys that I had seen as rude (on Ashly's birthday one of them had ordered the most expensive things on the menu.....Ashly's parents were paying) had, from what I can see, waited to make sure the girl was okay. Even though they still left early they took the time to make sure I was going to be alright and tried to stay as long as they thought was possible without admitting what they were doing.
I do not know if I am reading the situation different than it was, but I like it better this way. It shows that boys still know that they need to watch out for a girls protection. I am all for being independent, but it doesn't mean we are safe from the danger of rapists and killers. We still have a disadvantage over men.
Though I do find it strange that, as girls, they didn't stay with me knowing that.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so ridiculous that they left you there all alone at that time of night! Boy or girl, no one should do that. It's common curtsy to wait and make sure that you're sent home safely.

I'm tooting my own horn here a bit, but whenever I drop you off I always wait to see you get inside your house, if it's in the middle of the day or 10:00 PM at night, and that's in your safe suburban neighborhood not some parking lot where just a few years ago a maintenance worker was killed outside the mall.

I just cannot believe they would leave you alone, at night, in a parking lot! That actually makes me angry. At least some of them made an effort to stay but really someone should have been right there sitting next to you until your ride got there. Jesus.

C.

Kat said...

I know! thanks :-P