Monday, April 19, 2010

Dentist

With a long history of dental phobia, I have been avoiding the dentist since I had my wisdom teeth removed (right before college started). Since I broke one of my teeth a couple weeks ago, I had been waiting till the summer so I did not have to miss class. Now, I finally have to go (and miss class) because of the fact that my tooth now is in pain and some how managed to have another hole in it.

It scares me and I wonder if I should have made this sooner. Also, missing class was something I was trying to avoid and if this had happened earlier this weekend, or earlier today, I could have made an appointment for today (long weekend in Mass but in RI they still have a work day). However the inconvenience of my mouth is unimportant, the real stress is that I am slowly chewing away my own teeth.

I wish there was something that could be done, but the best thing that I can do is invest in a mouth guard. I don't think I grind all the time; I have had many months without pain. What I think is happening is that it is coming out in times of stress. Logically I should use this till the end of my school career and during stressful days.

Now I wonder, what is going to happen when I get to the dentist's office? Am I going to make the situation worse in the meantime because my subconscious hates me? I am terrified of having to have a root canal, let alone a filling. My mom says that it is probably worse in my mind and I will only need a cap until they can fix the whole problem. I just hope this will not affect my schooling. I really don't want to do this, but I don't want to lose my tooth more....grrrr...

No comments: