Thursday, February 19, 2009

Potential

On Valentines day I had gotten many flowers. Some, as you know were from my boyfriend, but I also received two [red] carnations from TGI Fridays and the Campus Christian Fellowship. The flowers I got were of course beautiful, but a particular incident was brought back to the surface today. When receiving the carnation from the Christian Fellowship they were lined up on the RA desk from when we entered the building. I did not want to take one at first because I had already had one in my hands but my RA, Ashley, insisted that we take one.

Examining the layout in front of me I saw many full bloom flowers that were nice, some that had small flaws and other such things. Finally, I chose a small flower that was only partially bloomed. It was little and wasn't much to look at yet, but for some reason I was drawn to what it would be. After the RAs looked at my choice they comented on how I should pick a new flower that looked better.

For some reason I decided to tell them my reason. Talking of how the flower just needs a day and is a late bloomer. They seemed reluctant and I used the example of the ugly duckling and how this flower would be my swan. Still they did not believe me, but Joe was there and also backed my plan. I told Ashley that I would show her the flower in a couple days, and I am still debating on doing that.

Today my other flowers look as if they are about to die, but the carnation that I had picked is literally perfect. It is round and full of demention. With the exception of the bend I accidently put in the stem on saturday it is gorgous. I pointed it out to Joe today and he agreed; I found myself very pleased with this.

Then I thought about it. Do I really see things that differently than others. When I look at someone I do not see what they did, but what they can do. I believe we are capable of everything we put our minds to and when determined nothing can get in my way. This flower was about to be rejected but I took it because I saw what it would become. I want to look on the brighter side of life and I think this is a good example....

No comments: