Monday, August 17, 2009

"Family" Weekend

I call this post "Family Weekend" because everything that it involved had to do with family...It may have been a long weekend, but it was still full of many good things.

I would imagine I have to start this weekend off with my Uncle's Birthday party...It was kind of a big deal because it was his 60th and we all had a great time and mingled. I wish I could have talked to my family more, but I was filled with my determination to finish the Bear-ghan I was making for Joe's future brother (and I just realized I have forgotten to take a picture!). I fulfilled my goal and for that I am grateful.

The real adventure had started Saturday morning. I had everything ready to go the night before, but still some how managed to leave much later than I had expected. I was really hoping to be early, but ended up being 10 minutes late. It wasn't really a big deal, but despite my natural tendency, I like to be on time.

I spent most of the morning mingling with Joe's mom's side of the family and I was really glad to see some familiar faces in the group. I was also finally able to meet Joe's grandma (whom I have spoken with on the phone many months ago) and other family members.

After this was Mike's (Joe's brother) Eagle Court. It was in the same place as the Eagle Project that I went to in January. There I was able to meet Joe's Father, Aunt and Grandfather (father's father) and we ended up sitting at the same table as them. The cerimony was really nice and I am so happy Joe made it; it was such an important thing to him! Also I have found out that both grandfathers have very strong spoken voices, I almost want them to read to me...I atleast got some old school stories (getting to that)..:P

After some downtime, Joe's dad took us (Joe, Mike and Me) to dinner (With grandfather and aunt) in Harvard Square. This was super cool because I have never been there before. I realized at that point I had my camera with me, but the only pictures that came out were one of Joe and another of his aunt (both really cool looking!). Right before we turned in for the night, Joe's dad fixed his computer and his grandfather gave us all little pocket bibles which is pretty much the same as the one I have that is camo from Joe...so now I have a spare...

As we all turned in for the night, that is where my slight trouble came through. It was a VERY large rush to go to bed and I really had no idea where I was suppose to be going. I was also not ready, I quickly changed and went to the bathroom, but I ended up really causing an inconvience to his parents because they were apparently waiting on me. That was my bad and I feel really bad about it, I went to bed with full makeup and unbrushed to make their lives easier and it turns out I should have gone unchanged and on full as well, but I am going to put it behind me. What is done is done and if that is the worst of how I have been inconsiderate, maybe it isn't bad???

The next morning Joe had to go to formation and then we were heading to family day. We got a pre-warning that something was wrong and that we were possibly in trouble, and it turned out that when his step-grandma walked in to the room, shortly after I did (I was waking Joe up and we were talking) she thought we were getting....buisy...and was really uncomfortable.....This really didn't help my case of inconsideration, but Joe says that the air is now clear.

Joe's Dad's group ended up meeting us at the armory for Joe's formation and stayed a bit longer for Joseph because his mom's group ended up not being able to come. I was the only one there for most of the time, but I was really glad that Joe's dad would stay longer for him. He really seemed disapointed that no one came, as he should. It also really made me happy that Joe's aunt acknowedged my support for Joe, and reminded him that I was there. We tried having Jess come, but ended up just seeing her (who lived right down the street) for a short while before we headed back...

Oh and did I mention I hit a fire hydrent.... yup......I suck.....3pt turn.....blindspot....:'( hole in the bumper )':

When we got back we were expecting to be ready for some kind of conflict and no one was home. I called my mother and ended up staying a few extra hours because I did not want to leave there on a bad note. Then the last memory till next time I saw them would have been that I was the inconsiderate guest. Another thing that I felt bad for was there was a small mess on my part with my stuff being out. I really should have cleaned up more, but I got really distracted. Mainly I had an extreme lack of courtious judgment this weekend.

It turned out to be good that I stayed. Joe's mom's parents ended up staying for dinner with us and wanted to talk to me. Joe's Grandfather told me a story of how he met his wife in college like I met Joe. He went after WWII and graduated 3 years after her. They also met in a Newman type group (I now reference the Newman House where I have pasta night on Wednesday with the Catholic Organization) and I was kind of happy that they see themselves in us. I like these kinds of stories.

I am trying my best to ignore the bad parts of this weekend and focus mostly on the good times I have had. I met a lot of Joe's family and I have seemed to click well with many of them. Family day was fun and even though I didn't remember that many people they all seemed to have forgiven me. I feel like I have also grown in my confidence a bit, that was really a socially reasuring weekend...for the most part.

Now I just wait till I can see Joe again.....

No comments: